Jess, Linda said you're looking for advice on tempo runs and speedwork. I'd read the article from Runner's World that is linked below. That will help on tempo runs.
For speedwork, there are a number of different strategies and you could consult www.runnersworld.com and search for speed work. I would also suggest a strategy I used back in college that worked very well for a national champ in the 10K. The workout includes:
10 x 100m starting at a jog and gradually working up to full sprint, then back down - 15 seconds between each 100
10 x 200m with the same strategy - take 20 seconds between sprints
10 x 400m - same strategy - you can even take a minute between sprints here
Build it up to 800m if you can. When I say sprint obviously this is going to be a different pace as the distance gets longer. But if you do this twice a week it will really build up some leg speed and strength. The key is to not let you muscles continually train at the same pace. Teach them to run at different paces on different days and your performance should improve considerably.
Best way to run this program is on a track since you don't have to worry about inclines or measure distances. If you have a school that has an accessible track, get out there. Otherwise, find a lightly traveled neighborhood street and measure out the distances.
You can also build mile-repeats into your workouts. Spend a day running a one mile loop at race pace. Run five miles with a reasonably short break between repeats. You can also do hill workouts if you have a good gradual uphill. I'd also suggest a fartlek which includes varying paces within a longer run. I would typically at 7:00 minute pace for 6 or 7 miles but I'd run a fartlek at these paces to improve strength and stamina: mile 1: 7:30, mile 2: 6:00, mile 3: 7:00, mile 4: 5:30, mile 5: 7:00, mile 6: 5:00, mile 7 - 7:00.
Hope this helps. Good luck with your training!
Craig
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263-265-12224-0,00.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks, Craig!
The workout and article were helpful--I'll see what else the website has this weekend.
I'm thinking I could probably use the track at Eastern HS or MSU, but I'll have to call and check. I guarantee I'd lose count on the track at the Y, though. ;)
Post a Comment