Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bike Lesson, Part Deux

After a little bit of drama surrounding my inability to install the "right out of the box" bike rack (that my dad has graciously agreed to install for me next weekend) to my trunk, Kathy and I made it out to Granger Park so I could learn how to steer. As Kathy quite accurately put it, I am a "bike rider, but need to learn how to be a bike steerer."

We discovered that I felt the need to lean my body whenever I turned the handlebars, and that was tripping me up. I guess the whole "don't get in your own way" thing applies to biking as well as swimming. I practiced for about an hour with Kathy's expert assistance and started to get the hang of it by the end. I think it's going to come down to learning to stop psyching myself out. I'll get there, though!

Other training stuff has gone well this week too, but I had to switch to Wednesday spinning because I was the only one who signed up for Monday. Liz was awesome, though, and ran this week's Monday session for just me. She asked me if I had a heart rate monitor, and I told her yes but that I couldn't seem to get it to the percentages she called out even though I felt like I was where I was supposed to be on her exertion scale. (I can get it up there when I run, though.) She worked with me to get it to 70, 75, 80, and 85 percent and then I was able to do it myself on Wednesday.

--Jess :)

No comments: