Sunday, April 6, 2008

adventures and misadventures

So. I took the bike out yesterday. In my typical stubborn fashion, I went by myself to an elementary school near my apartment. (Let me tell you, getting the bike down from and back up to my third-floor unit was a workout in itself.) I had downloaded a little how-to thing from a school in Massachussets that teaches grownups how to ride, and tried (to no avail) some of the tactics it listed. I think I made a tactical error in trying to ride on the grass, but I was afraid of falling on pavement. Long story short, I spent an hour of quality time with the bike (I know it's going to take longer than that, but it was all I had to spare yesterday) and made almost no progress. You should have heard my inner monologue, though--it was an odd combination of words that aren't appropriate for a public blog and "I want my dad!"

Today was much better, though. I usually use my workout time to be alone with my thoughts and my ipod, but there's something to be said for working out with fellow rockstars. :) Linda, thanks for joining me at the 5k and thanks to both Linda and Kathy for the swim! I beat my Superbowl 5k time by about a minute and got some really helpful swimming tips from Sara, so that was good. Oh, and here's a tip of my own to pass along to you ladies (though I suppose common sense should have indicated that I was making a big mistake when I did this): Never shave your legs immediately before a swim. When I was changing to go to the pool this afternoon, I realized it had been a few days, so I did a quick "stand in the tub and get rid of the stubble" move and regretted it the second I got in the pool. Ouch, ouch, ouch!

3 comments:

F3 Gals said...

Jess,

BRAVO to you for the effort with the bike, even if it did not bring you immediate success! You'll get there, I just know it!

Another shaving tip - I've never done the pre-pool shave, but your story reminded me of a pre-pedicure shave - which made sense to me...until the leg massage with a pumice type lotion - ouch, and OUCH!

I, too, got helpful information from Sara! What I think, is that I need more pool time and more personal instruction. So I'll keep you up on the plan as it unfolds.

We are all rockstars! Thanks for the run this morning Jess. My goal is to do the MSUFCU 5K on April 20th (with Seung Hee and whoever else). I'd like to improve my time by 3 minutes or better.

Train On!
Linda

p.s. Kathy your years of water ballet are payig off, you are such a swimmer:) even if you have an occasional flying arm,and about those rear "features":)

Jess said...

Thanks, Linda! I'll get it eventually, and it makes for good stories in the meantime. ;-)

I was in Okemos today, so I swung by Playmakers and signed up for the MSU Race for the Place. See you there!

F3 Gals said...

Jess,

Check out your results on-line you came in 4th in your age group - nice!

I guess I am "famous", my friend Milissa emailed me to let me know WLAJ had got me on camera running (glad not fussing at Audrey) in the race.

I will get signed up soon - I'm going for a better time - guess I'll have to run some! Have IPod - will run!

Linda