Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A few more swimming insights...

My regular swim instructor was sick last night, so a very nice (and very funny!) lifeguard named Tom filled in for her. When he introduced himself, he said that he also teaches the triathlon class at the Westside Y, and I mentioned that I was taking lessons to prep for the Hawk Island event. It turns out that he's lifeguarded the event for the last couple of years, and he said that it's a lot of fun. (Linda, he remembered us from Sunday--hahaha.)

I picked up a couple more tips last night as well. I need to look down more and not lift my head so far out of the water when I breathe. Tom also had me work on rolling to the side more by running my hand up the side of my body when I'm lifting it out of the water. After about a lap and a half, I realized that I could use the side seam of my suit as a guide for my thumb.

I think I'm making (slow) progress!

3 comments:

MIchelle said...

Tom is awesome. He is my tri coach on Tues nights. He also does Master's swimming here in town. He has invited me to a few of his work outs ( he is trying to hurt me with these work outs) Tom has lots of knowledge and know his stuff.

Michelle

F3 Gals said...

I was also told that Tom is a great resource and talent, by Theresa the Aquatics director at Westside YMCA.

Michelle - great to see you at the Y on Monday!

F3 Gals said...

signed Linda above message