I had a meeting with a trainer at the Y today (who, incidentally, is tri-coach Dan's sister--small world!), and I had done some thinking over the weekend about exactly what I'm trying to accomplish and how much time I can devote to training. I decided that my time commitment level is working out fine (an hourish six days/week--mornings only, no night workouts), but that I was getting too hung up in all the "academic" stuff in the books and websites I've been reading. I think trying to decipher all the info on training zones, heart rate monitoring (I stay in my target zone, but I haven't figured it out much beyond that), breakthrough sessions, etc. was becoming overwhelming.
I explained all this to Julie and she set me up with an 8-week plan that entails pretty much everything I'm doing now, but with more of a set structure. I just need to sit down and lay it out based on a Tuesday off instead of a Friday off and work in Monday spinning. She also assured me that I don't need to worry about the "academic" stuff if I'm staying in my target heart rate and am challenging myself with the workouts. Oh, and I have a handle on the strength training stuff now too. Apparently, doing too much of it can actually get in the way of other training, so she set me up with a routine I can do once a week (and work up to twice if I feel like I can) and said I could swap in more stability ball work (which I love and had gotten away from a little bit lately).
Linda, big hugs to you and your family.
Jess :)
PS--My friend sent me this link today in an e-mail with the subject line, "you should get this for your triathlon!" (It's a reference to Double Dare, which was a Nickelodeon after-school staple when we were kids). I may have to order one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hee! i got a shout-out link! woohoo! go on with your bad selves, ladies!
Post a Comment