Monday, May 26, 2008

Baby steps... (Baby pedals?...)

So I think what I needed was some alone time with Thor. (Linda, Kathy, and Alicia, don't take that the wrong way--I'm super thankful for your company and advice!)

I had a really great ride this morning. I slept in until 7:00 (which is unheard of because my internal clock seems to hate me), had a bowl of oatmeal and a cup of coffee, put on what I have dubbed the Lance Armstrong vest, and headed across the street into the neighborhood where I run to give riding in the road another try. I figured the worst that could happen was that I freaked out and ended up riding on the sidewalk, but it actually went really well. I do a four-mile loop when I run there, and I rode it three times. The first time, I was mostly concerned with things like staying to the right and maneuvering around potholes, but I worked on speed for the last two. Anyway, long story longer, I obeyed traffic signs, I didn't freak out around cars (which I will admit were few and far between and were going slowly, but still--I had a few in each direction), I pedaled up and coasted down the hills, and even managed a few (very) quick glances over my shoulder to see what was behind me. I ended up doing twelve miles total, and got through ten in just under 70 minutes. I'm still not ready to ride out on Saginaw or Lake Lansing, but I feel good about what I managed this morning.

When I was done riding, I threw Thor on the back of my car (my apartment complex doesn't have bike racks--boo!) and did an immediate half-hour run. I'm not sure exactly how far I went, but I'm sure it was slower than my usual speed. It didn't feel too bad, though, so I'm pretty confident about that part of the tri.

Train on!

--Jess :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Offense? Are you kidding??? alone time with Thor was probably exactly what you needed!

All 3 of you really are ROCKSTARS!!!! I'm so inspired by all of you! Jess you know that I think of you as my hero and I totally <3 you!

Next year I'll be there with you all (if you don't mind that is!)

I'll be there on Sunday cheering for you all! I'm so proud to know you!

Also - really sorry for bailing on the "for fun" ride on Monday - stove & deck kicked my butt!

Train on athletes! I'd say make me proud, but you already have!!!